Christopher L. ReiveOf Counsel Attorney
Chris regularly assists businesses, individuals, and local governments in recognizing and solving the many issues that arise from environmental concerns, including environmental risk management and allocation in business transactions, waste management and disposal on job sites, obtaining insurance coverage for environmental issues, permitting and reporting to regulatory agencies, spill and release response, and worker safety. His 32 years of experience as a lawyer is complemented by a graduate degree in environmental health and his prior experience as a DEQ enforcement officer.
Chris has represented clients in acquiring and selling contaminated properties, in remediating contamination discovered on their property, and in recovering costs associated with contamination caused by others. His knowledge of federal and state environmental laws and his experience as a trial lawyer make him very successful in resolving disputes that arise between present and former owners, operators, insurers, and neighbors of contaminated properties. He also advises clients on compliance with the many local, state, and federal laws and regulations that determine how they manage and develop their land and facilities.
Current and former clients include banks, credit unions, wood treaters, printers and publishers, contractors, land owners and developers, municipalities and counties, port districts, national manufacturers and retailers, environmental contractors, oil and mining companies, local fuel retailers, not-for-profit charitable organizations, and many individuals who have found themselves mired in the environmental regulations that have impacted their lives and businesses. Chris has successfully litigated and resolved environmental claims against major oil companies, other major companies, and the United States.
Chris's experience in representing creditors also makes him uniquely qualified to advise lenders and investors on managing the risks associated with buying, lending, and foreclosing on real property impacted by environmental concerns.
Education & AdmissionsEducation:
- B.S., Biology, University of Michigan, 1973
- M.P.H., Environmental Health, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 1976
- J.D., Lewis and Clark College, Northwestern School of Law, 1983
- State of Oregon
- State of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, District of Eastern Washington
- U.S. District Court, District of Western Washington
Memberships & Activities
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Oregon State Bar, Debtor-Creditor, Land Use, and Real Estate Sections
- Washington State Bar, Creditor-Debtor, Environmental, and Land Use Sections
Awards and Honors
- Chambers USA, Top Ranked Leading Individual in Environmental Law, 2010-2017
- Oregon Super Lawyers listing, Environmental Law, 2010-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law, Environmental Litigation, and Natural Resources Law, 2011-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," Environmental Litigation, Portland Area, 2013