Doug Cushing brings 50 years of practical legal knowledge and experience to Jordan Ramis PC’s commercial law and estate planning and probate practice. His background produces a willingness and demonstrated ability to shape options and solutions to complex problems for his clients.
In the estate arena, Doug began practicing the same year the Oregon Probate Code was redrawn, so his experience has mirrored the implementation of those statutes. He has handled estates of significant size with large estate tax risks, as well as modest estates with contentious heir disputes, that have entailed litigation, mediation, and tax audits. Doug always addresses the “people” issues as well as the financial consequences to his clients. His goal is to achieve his clients’ goals, minimizing tax impacts while preserving client privacy. Licensed in both Oregon and Washington, Doug has extensive experience throughout the Pacific Northwest.
On the commercial law side, Doug has not only served on behalf of banks and other lending institutions, but he has handled debtor problems, including complex Chapter 11 cases through to successful plan implementation. That perspective makes him uniquely able to protect creditors’ rights when analyzing financial disputes from the lender’s side. In structuring loan documentation for a lender, he is able to foresee risks to be avoided before his clients have made commitments they might later regret. In his five decades of practice, Doug has advised both public entities and “mom and pop” operators in financing, business sales, and property disputes.
Finding solutions for his clients has always been Doug’s primary goal, but outside the law practice, Doug has been a regular participant and board member in local and larger school and civic entities. He enjoys golf, gardening, grandchildren, and everything Stanford.
- B.A., Stanford University, 1967
- J.D., magna cum laude, Willamette College of Law, 1970
- State of Oregon
- State of Washington
- U.S. District Court of Oregon
- U.S. District Court of Eastern Washington
- U.S. District Court of Western Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Membership and Activities
- Lake Oswego Chamber of Commerce, President (2013–2015), Board of Directors (2013–2017), Government Affairs Committee (Present)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Oregon State Bar, Debtor-Creditor, Business Litigation, and Estate Planning and Administration Sections
- Washington State Bar Association, Creditor-Debtor, and Real Property Probate Trust Sections
- Northwest Bankruptcy Institute, Planning Committee (2002–2004)
Awards and Honors
- Lake Oswego Chamber of Commerce, Outstanding Citizen of the Year, 2016
- “Bankruptcy 101,” The Clark County Bar Association, March 2016
Doug Cushing Receives Community Leader of the Year Award
March 25, 2016
Having given years of time, hard work, and commitment to bettering his community, Doug Cushing was honored for his contributions to the City of Lake Oswego with the 2016 Community Leader of the Year Award by the Lake Oswego Chamber…
Legal Issues with Solar Panels
November 25, 2015
BY DOUG CUSHING NOVEMBER 2015 Oregon has been one of the leading states supporting the expansion of solar power, both in terms of manufacturing and installation of generating capacity. This includes state funding of manufacturing plants and limited subsidization of…
Is Business Succession Planning Still Needed When Estate Taxes Go Away?
September 7, 2014
By Doug Cushing From the Jordan Ramis Archives Before the war on Iraq and terrorism began driving budgets back into deficit mode, the President and part of Congress set out to permanently eliminate the Federal Estate Tax. Currently the law…