Tim Ramis is in the business of helping people build and manage cities, focusing his practice on land development throughout the region. His more than 40 years of extensive experience combined with his curiosity with how cities grow has earned him the recognition of being one of Oregon’s top land use attorneys. Tim has been named by his peers in the profession as Oregon’s top land use lawyer.
Tim’s land use knowledge helps him deal with planning, engineering, transportation, wetlands, habitat, economic, and other technical consultants, permitting him to interface well with local planning staff. He also works with his clients in transportation planning, local government applications, Goal 5 applications, wetland permitting, Land Use Board of Appeals (LUBA) petitions, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court cases, and legislative drafting. In addition to his land use practice, Tim currently serves as city attorney for the cities of St. Helens, Dundee, and West Linn, Oregon.
Tim’s in-depth land use experience and skill has resulted in his playing a major role in some of the most prominent land developments in the region such as:
- The Peterkort Property
- Clackamas Town Center
- Clackamas Promenade
Prior to entering private practice, Tim served as assistant county counsel for Washington County, Oregon, where he was legal advisor to the County Planning Commission, Planning Department, Public Works Department, and Unified Sewage Agency. He also worked as staff liaison to the Metropolitan Service District.
A member of the United States Tennis Association, Tim remains active in tennis, swimming, and skiing. His interests in urban economics and land development have led him to travel extensively throughout North America, Europe, Asia, and North Africa.
- B.A., Stanford University, 1972
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, 1975
- State of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. Supreme Court
Membership and Activities
- Oregon State Bar, Government Law and Real Estate/Land Use Sections
- Subcommittee for Real Estate/Land Use Education and Legislation
- Oregon City Attorneys Association
Awards and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Land Use & Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law, 2006-2022
- Chambers and Partners USA, Leading Individual in Oregon, Real Estate: Zoning & Land Use, 2006-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year,” Municipal Law, 2020
- Oregon Super Lawyers listing, Land Use/Zoning, 2006-2020
- Daily Journal of Commerce, Newsmaker, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year,” Land Use & Zoning Law, Portland Area, 2013 and 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Attorney
- Co-Chair, Oregon Land Use Law Seminar, hosted by the Seminar Group, December 2015–2020
- Ramis is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars regarding land use and real estate issues. He has presented seminars sponsored by the Oregon State Bar, Colorado Bar Association, Law Seminar International, American Planning Association, Oregon Law Institute, Oregon Planning Institute, National Business Institute, League of Oregon Cities, and the Audubon Society.
U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Nine Jordan Ramis PC Attorneys and Russell D. Garrett as “Lawyer of the Year”
August 25, 2021
Jordan Ramis PC is pleased to announce that Russell D. Garrett has been awarded “Lawyer of the Year” and eight additional Jordan Ramis attorneys have been ranked in the 2022 Best Lawyers® guide.
Four Jordan Ramis Attorneys Recognized by Chambers and Partners USA
May 20, 2021
Portland, OR – Jordan Ramis is pleased to announce its ranking in the 2021 Chambers and Partners USA Guide, the most respected directory for identifying top performing law firms and individuals around the world. This is the eleventh year Jordan…
Best Lawyers® Ranks Nine Jordan Ramis PC Attorneys
August 20, 2020
Jordan Ramis PC is pleased to announce that nine lawyers across the firm’s three office branches and various practice areas have been ranked in the 2021 Best Lawyers® guide. Best Lawyers® is a purely peer review-based process with listings published…