- Our client (a city) wanted to annex a nearby regional shopping mall.
- The city was struggling economically and needed to increase its real property aggregate assessed value and its retail base.
- The regional mall announced that two other neighboring cities were more desirable options for annexation.
- Developed legal justification for reducing mall property taxes under a phase-in plan.
- Crafted an agreement earmarking tax revenues for building street improvements needed by the mall.
- Negotiated an annexation agreement with the mall operator based on presenting a better financial package than the competition.
- Our client was able to achieve a voluntary annexation of the mall.
- The mall operator obtained favorable tax treatment and improved infrastructure.
- The city’s finances benefitted and the street system was improved.