Russ represents fiduciaries, such as bankruptcy trustees and receivers, banks, credit unions, other financial groups, and significant creditors and shareholders in domestic matters. His current and previous clients consist of Chapter 7, 12, and 13 Trustees, creditors’ committees, insurance carriers, and financial institutions, including the largest auto finance companies in the world. Russ is an experienced trial lawyer and practices before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and Bankruptcy Appellate Panel. Russ serves as a panel Chapter 7 Trustee for the Western District of Washington and, from time to time, has served from as a Chapter 11 Trustee and state court Receiver.
A recognized contributor in bankruptcy and commercial litigation issues, Russ speaks on bankruptcy and litigation topics around the country for the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, American Bankruptcy Institute, National Business Institute, Oregon State Bar, Washington State Bar, and Hawaii Bankruptcy Bar.
Russ is a director on the Board for the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and a Committee Member of the Executive Committee for the Washington State Bar Creditor-Debtor Section.
Russ is a former Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representative from the Western District of Washington, a former Trustee for the Federal Bar Association in the Western District of Washington, and a former member of the Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor executive committee. Russ also helped to form the Oregon State Bar New Lawyers Division and served on the ABA-YLD team.
Russ received his B.A. from the University of Oregon and his J.D. from Willamette University in 1988 where he served as a member of the Law Review and as an author.
Russ has a Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Attorney rating, the highest possible rating for an attorney for both ethical standards and legal ability. He is also recognized as a top-rated lawyer in both Oregon and Washington by Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers.
Outside of practicing law, Russ is an active volunteer for several non-profit organizations. A distinguished Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, District Commissioner, and District Chair, Russ promotes youth development for young men and women through the scouting program and high adventure. Russ promoted Co-ed Venturing crews shortly after the program began and was the advisor for multiple co-ed crews at Philmont. Russ also serves as an Assistant Section Manager for the National Association for Amateur Radio’s Oregon Section.
- J.D., Willamette University, College of Law, 1988
- B.S., University of Oregon, 1980
- State of Oregon
- State of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
Membership and Activities
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyer Division Fellows
- Clark County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar, Debtor-Creditor Section; Legislative Sub-Committee (Past), House of Delegates – Delegate (Past)
- Washington State Bar Association, Debtor-Creditor Section (Executive Committee 2020 – 2022); Litigation Section; Real Property Section; Probate and Trust Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, Board Member (2018 – Present)
- Lake Oswego Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Emergency Coordinator
- Clackamas County Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Assistant Emergency Coordinator
- Friends of Timberline
Awards and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year,” Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Portland area, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2012-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Attorney
- Washington Super Lawyers listing, Creditor Debtor Rights: Business, 2017-2020
- Oregon Super Lawyers listing, Business and Corporate, 2019-2020
- “Creditor Remedies, Bankruptcy Rights & Financial Workouts,” National Business Institute, December 2020
- “A Day in the Life of a Chapter 7 Trustee,” National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees and Insolvency Summit, October 2020
- “Lien Stripping in Bankruptcy,” National Bankruptcy Institute, June 2020
- “Chapter 7 and 13 Trustee Hot Topics,” 32nd Annual NW Bankruptcy Institute Seminar, April 2019
- “Bankruptcy: From the Creditor’s Perspective,” National Business Institute, March 2019
- Presentation, “Bankruptcy and Family Law: A Mashup of harmony and Dissonance,” Clackamas County Bar Association’s Spring Half Day CLE and Social (April 2018)
U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Nine Jordan Ramis PC Attorneys and Russell D. Garrett as “Lawyer of the Year”
August 25, 2021
Jordan Ramis PC is pleased to announce that Russell D. Garrett has been awarded “Lawyer of the Year” and eight additional Jordan Ramis attorneys have been ranked in the 2022 Best Lawyers® guide.
National Business Institute Webinar – Bankruptcy 2021: New Rules, Case Law, and Hot Topics
August 6, 2021
This course covers a wide range of pressing and practical topics for consumer bankruptcy practitioners of all experience levels.
Best Lawyers® Ranks Nine Jordan Ramis PC Attorneys
August 20, 2020
Jordan Ramis PC is pleased to announce that nine lawyers across the firm’s three office branches and various practice areas have been ranked in the 2021 Best Lawyers® guide. Best Lawyers® is a purely peer review-based process with listings published…