Representing clients ranging from top-rated Portland restaurants to leading hotels and resorts, we understand the hospitality industry is closely tied to the ups and downs of the local and global economy, including the devastating impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. From owners, operators, and developers, to vendors and franchisees, we assist clients with the purchase, sale, and leasing of hotels and restaurants; employment matters; and the land use, development, and construction process.
With decades of industry-specific knowledge and experience, we are well positioned and impassioned to help our clients understand the complexities involved from a real estate transaction to an employee handbook and everything in between. Engaged in local trade associations and dialed in to the implications new laws have on this industry, our Hospitality team is well-versed in the often complex local, state, and federal legal and regulatory burdens placed on hospitality operators. We work in tandem with our clients to strategize and advise on how to maximize business opportunities and minimize legal liability.
Jordan Ramis attorneys are deeply rooted in the hospitality industry in our region and are frequent speakers on issues specific to hospitality industry employers. We collaborate with industry associations to present briefings and educational events, and frequently publish articles on topics specific to hospitality employers. We provide management training and guidance on discrimination, harassment, workplace violence, and compliance training, designed for the hospitality employer’s business needs, policies, and culture.
Our services to the hospitality industry include:
- 1031 exchanges
- Business formation and governance
- Construction and development
- Construction defect litigation
- Employment and labor law: EEOC, ADA compliance, wage and hour, FLSA compliance, tip pooling
- Federal, state, and local taxation; transient lodging tax
- Hotel development and construction
- Indoor Clean Air Act (ICAA) compliance
- Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) licensing
- Premises liability: slip and fall, security, trespass, dram shop litigation
- Purchase and sale of hotels, restaurants, and other hospitality establishments
- Regulatory compliance
- Vendor relationship management
- Workers’ compensation
Executive Committee Member & Shareholder
Restaurant Leasing in a “Post-COVID” World
May 4, 2021
This article was originally published in the April 23, 2021 edition of the Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic upon the food and beverage industry has been well documented and is readily apparent. According to…