With over 30 years of experience in environmental law, coverage, and litigation, David Rabbino’s practice is focused on developing and getting regulatory approval to complex environmental problems with creative and cost-effective resolutions, letting his clients get back to their core businesses.
David represents clients in some of the largest Superfund sites across the country, as well as matters with state and county regulators. He represents for-profit, non-profit, and local government entities, both as plaintiffs or defendants, in environmental regulatory matters, including permitting, compliance, and enforcement actions, and has significant experience in handling and litigating environmental coverage actions. Understanding that most environmental matters pull his clients away from what they do best, David devotes the time to listen to his clients’ concerns, works with them to identify clear business goals, and develops legal strategies to reach those goals, so his clients can focus on their core businesses.
In addition to his work in traditional environmental matters, David offers expertise in real estate transactions and experience in land use law, particularly those that involve contaminated real property. He is an active member of Oregon’s statewide Brownfield Coalition and was extensively involved in the drafting and legislative lobbying effort that led to the passage of Oregon’s groundbreaking brownfield Land Bank Authority bill (HB 2734) and Oregon’s brownfield Tax Abatement bill (HB 4084). He advises clients on various financial tools available to fund brownfield projects, as well as permitting requirements and land use issues associated with such projects.
David is a Co-Chair of the firm’s Environmental and Natural Resources practice group and the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Committee. Prior to joining Jordan Ramis, David was a civil litigator in New York City, an enforcement attorney with the U.S. EPA for almost 12 years, a partner at a boutique environmental litigation firm based in the Bay Area in California, and Senior Counsel at a large Portland-based law firm. This experience in the public and private sectors, as well as at small and large law firms, allows David to bring a wholistic, seasoned perspective to any matter he deals with on behalf of his clients.
Helping clients achieve their business goals while navigating them through the complex and technically diverse issues involved in resolving environmental matters is what David enjoys most about practicing law. When he is not working on resolving his clients’ environmental concerns, David enjoys living in the Pacific Northwest, playing tennis and golf, hiking, and occasional trips to the coast.
- B.A., Political Science, Connecticut College, 1982
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, 1985
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- California State Bar
- Connecticut State Bar
- New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Membership and Activities
- Youth, Rights & Justice, Board Member (2015–Present), President (2020–Present)
- Oregon State Bar Environmental & Natural Resources Section, Executive Committee Member (2014–2018)
- Lake Oswego Development Review Commission, Member (2014–2017)
- Oregon State Bar Disciplinary Board, Member (2014–2015)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Jordan Ramis PC Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Committee, Co-Chair (2019–Present)
Awards and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law, Litigation – Environmental and Natural Resources Law, 2019–2024
- Chambers & Partners USA, Environmental Law, 2016–2023
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2006, 2008–2012
- Martindale Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Attorney
- Panelist: “2022 Portland Harbor Workshop,” Maul Foster Alongi Webinar Series, February 2022
- Panelist: “Working with Attorneys – Understanding the Legal Perspective,” Oregon Brownfields & Infrastructure Summit, NEBC, October 2020
- Moderator: Brownfield Conversation Table, 2018 Oregon Brownfields Conference, April 2018
- Speaker: “CERCLA and the Divisibility of Harm Defense – The ‘Indecision’ of the Lower Fox River and the Divisibility of Harm,” Multnomah Bar Association, June 2016
- Panelist and Moderator: Oregon Brownfields Conference, May 2016
- Panelist, “Beaverton Brownfields Property and Business Owner Forum,” Beaverton Brownfields Program, March 2016
- Speaker, “Oregon, Brownfields, and the New Land Bank Authority,” City of Beaverton, February 10, 2016; City of Milwaukie, February 18, 2016
- Speaker, “Legal Issues Related to Brownfield Rehabilitation,” Portland, OR, January 19, 2016
- Speaker: “An Overview of Brownfield Properties in Oregon and the Land Bank Authority Bill,” Association of Oregon Counties Annual Conference, November 2015
- Speaker, “Brownfields Initiative Forum – Financial, Legal, and Development Aspects,” The City of Tigard, October 28, 2015
- Panelist, “Public Open House,” Beaverton Brownfields Program, Beaverton, OR, March 9, 2015
- Moderator: “Paying for Cleanup,” 2014 Re-Using Contaminated Land Conference, October 2014
- Speaker and Panelist: “Some Practical Advice to Moving a Site through a Cleanup Process,” 2014 Oregon Environmental Cleanup Conference, September 2014
- Speaker: “Insurance Assets for Investigation & Cleanup,” Oregon Brownfields Conference, May 2014
- Speaker and Panelist, “Environmental Insurance,” Environmental Law Education Center CLE, Portland, Oregon, March 10, 2014
Chambers USA ranks Jordan Ramis practices and attorneys in the 2023 directory
June 16, 2023
Chambers USA, which ranks U.S. attorneys and practice areas in each state, has ranked the Jordan Ramis environmental and real estate/land use practices, as well as attorneys Jamie Howsley, David Rabbino and Steve Shropshire. Based on detailed submissions provided by…
Oregon Brownfields and Infrastructure Summit
October 23, 2022
Jordan Ramis PC Attorney David Rabbino will be speaking at the Oregon Brownfields & Infrastructure Summit, held October 23-25, in Bend, Oregon.
Best Lawyers® Recognizes Seven Jordan Ramis Attorneys for 2023 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
August 18, 2022
Jordan Ramis PC is thrilled to have seven of our own attorneys recognized in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in America®.